Big East Tourney Next for GU

Big East Tourney Next for GU

By Eric Kim Special to the Hoya

As the regular season winds down and the Georgetown women’s soccer team approaches its first-ever Big East tournament appearance, the Hoyas are struggling.

After losing to Syracuse and tying Columbia last week, the Hoyas’ winless streak reached three games on Wednesday after a 4-0 drubbing by No. 16 William & Mary.

The Tribe racked up 21 shots against the Hoyas, keeping Hoya goalkeepers Emily Main and Shereena Chang plenty busy throughout the game. Main, a senior starting for the second game in a row, notched seven saves, while the sophomore Chang added one of her own.

Main kept the Tribe scoreless for most of the first half, until William & Mary’s Avery Willis broke the scoreless tie with less than three minutes left remaining in the half. Three different Tribe players added goals in the second half to overwhelm the Hoyas.

Georgetown is once again finding it difficult to score goals. Over the course of the last three games, in an even 300 minutes of game time, the Hoyas have one goal to their name.

The Hoyas’ current winless streak of three games ties their longest of the season, which transpired from Oct. 1 through Oct. 7 during the heart of Georgetown’s Big East Mid-Atlantic Division schedule. After a 10-0 shellacking by Notre Dame, a 0-0 tie with Pittsburgh, and a 3-1 loss to Villanova, the Hoyas were left for dead in the Mid-Atlantic Division, dwelling the cellar with an 0-3-1 divisional record.

The Hoyas came roaring back, however, in their next two games and stole the final Mid-Atlantic tournament berth from Rutgers and West Virginia.

Having recorded a loss, a tie, and another loss in their last three games, respectively, the Hoyas will be hoping for déjà vu in their next two games, the regular season finale against cross-divisional opponent Boston College this Saturday at 1 p.m. on Harbin Field and the Big East quarterfinal match-up against Connecticut next Tuesday. This task will be far more daunting however, since the Eagles are ranked fifth in the Northeast region, while Connecticut is the top team in the region and currently ranks No. 7 in the nation.