Boston College 18-3, 9-2 Big East

The No. 9 Eagles traveled to Hartford on Tuesday, seeking to defeat the Huskies and win in the Civic Center for the first time since 1987. However, Boston College was unable to extend its six-game winning streak, dropping its eighth straight in Hartford, 82-71. In its first game as a top-10 team since 1983, Boston College connected on only 6 of 26 (.231) three-point attempts and could not contain Connecticut’s spirited second-half play. Sophomore guard Troy Bell, one of 15 finalists for the Naismith College Basketball Player of the Year Award, finished with 16 points on only 5 of 16 shooting. The Eagles hold a one game lead over Providence for first place in the Big East-East Division, as they play the Friars tomorrow in Boston in a showdown between the conference’s two most surprising teams.

– John-Paul Hezel

Seton Hall 12-9, 3-7 Big East

Seton Hall was held to one field goal in the last 15 minutes and five total in the second half during Thursday night’s 68-61 loss to Pittsburgh. It was the Pirates’ fifth straight loss. They were beaten by Syracuse on Saturday despite committing only four turnovers. Freshman forward Eddie Griffin is leading the league with 16 double-doubles. He had 21 points against the Panthers and 18 points,10 rebounds against the Orangmen.

– Julie Wood

Villanova 15-8, 6-5 Big East

Although sophomore guard Gary Buchanan missed a crucial foul shot with 4.6 seconds left against the No. 18 Hoyas, ending his NCAA Division I record for consecutive made free-throws at 73, the Wildcats held on to upset Georgetown 59-56 on Monday. Now 82 of 84 from the line on the season, Buchanan fell 21 made free-throws short of the NCAA record of 94, set by Paul Cluxton of Division II Northern Kentucky in 1996-97. Junior forward Michael Bradley, who leads the nation in field goal percentage at .698, was also named as a finalist on Tuesday for the Naismith College Basketball Player of the Year Award, which will be handed out in Atlanta on April 7 at the Cobb Galleria Centre. Villanova looks to retain its momentum at home versus Miami tomorrow and at West Virginia on Tuesday.

– John-Paul Hezel

Pittsburgh 12-11, 4-8 Big East

Pittsburgh snapped a four game losing streak on Thursday with a 68-61 win over Seton Hall on the road. The Panthers had previously dropped four games in a row following an 84-64 loss to Rutgers, a conference opponent who has also struggled this season. Senior guard Ricardo Greer is leading the Panthers with an average of 16.3 points per game.

– Julie Wood

Miami 13-10, 5-7 Big East

Each day it gets more difficult to figure out a Big East team. Take Miami, for example. Last Saturday, the Hurricanes lost to St. John’s 85-79, but on Tuesday handled No. 10 Syracuse 68-57. The Hurricanes could not overcome St. John’s freshman guard Omar Cook, who scored 21 points, dished out 12 assists and hit two key three-pointers in the second overtime period to lead the Red Storm. However, at Syracuse, Miami’s own freshman guard, Darius Miles, stopped a late Orangmen run with a key jumper with 3 minutes 26 seconds remaining. The Canes handed Syracuse only its second home loss of the season. Miami plays at Villanova tomorrow, before resting a week for Connecticut next Saturday.

– John-Paul Hezel

Rutgers 10-12, 2-9 Big East

After winning two conference games in a row against Seton Hall and Pittsburgh, Rutgers returned to its woeful ways with an 81-59 loss to Notre Dame on Wednesday. The Scarlet Knights never came within 15 points of the Irish throughout the second half. Additionally, Rutgers shot a mere 34 percent, including 2-14 from beyond the three-point line. Sophomore center Eugene Dabney led the scoring for the Knights with 16 points, and added 12 rebounds, his first double-double of the year.

– Julie Wood

Syracuse 19-5, 7-4 Big East

Poor shooting led to Syracuse’s upset loss to Miami. The Orangemen shot 32 percent from the field, and two of their three leading scorers, junior guard Preston Shumpert and sophomore DeShaun Williams, combined to shoot 7-of-37. Both teams were coming off close wins, Syracuse having just beaten Seton Hall 63-62. Both Shumpert and senior forward Damone Brown had double-doubles against the Pirates. Shumpert has now scored double figures in 23 straight games. The Orangemen are now in second place in the Big East West division. They face West Virginia tomorrow at 2 p.m.

– Julie Wood

Notre Dame 17-5, 9-2 Big East

Notre Dame is on its longest winning streak since 1986-87 – eight games – after pounding Rutgers 81-59 Wednesday night. The team’s nine Big East wins are its most ever in the conference. Sophomore guard Matt Carroll led the Fighting Irish in scoring against Rutgers with 20 points on 7-of-9 shooting from the floor and 4-of-4 from the foul line. Junior forward Ryan Humphrey, the second leading scorer for the Irish, missed the game with a sprained ankle. Earlier in the week, the Irish put together some strong play in the final minutes to edge West Virginia 69-66. Junior forward Troy Murphy’s clutch free throws and a key block by Humphrey secured the victory. Notre Dame will face Seton Hall on Sunday.

– Julie Wood

Virginia Tech 8-13, 2-9 Big East

The Hokies are one of only two teams in the Big East with double-digit losses in the conference. On Wednesday, they lost 72-69 to West Virginia in a hard-fought contest. The Hokies led most of the first half but could not contain Mountaineer forward junior Chris Moss in the second, when he scored 15 of his 22 points. Tech faces Connecticut at home tomorrow before traveling to Providence on Tuesday.

– John-Paul Hezel

Connecticut 16-8, 5-6 Big East

Fighting desperately for their NCAA Tournament lives, the Huskies trailed by 10 at halftime against Boston College on Tuesday. Yet after a verbal thrashing by Head Coach Jim Calhoun, Connecticut responded to the booing crowd with an 11-2 run to open the second half. Freshman guard Taliek Brown scored a career-high 21 points, sparking a 12-1 run with a clutch three-pointer with 5 minutes 34 seconds left in the game. UConn, which has won 3 out of 4 after losing five in a row, travels to Virginia Tech tomorrow and to Syracuse on Monday. In related news, Connecticut announced yesterday the final 10 players to its 25-man All-Century Team, which includes forwards Clifford Robinson (1985-89) and Donyell arshall (1991-94) and centers Walt Dropo (1942-47), Travis Knight (1992-96), and Jake Voskuhl (1996-2000).

– John-Paul Hezel

St. John’s 13-10, 7-5 Big East

Providence halted the Red Storm’s on-campus home winning streak at 27 games on Wednesday. Prior to the loss to the Friars, the last team to defeat St. John’s at Alumni Hall was West Virginia on Jan. 12, 1997. Wednesday also marked “Senior Night” for the Red Storm. Prior to the game St. John’s only senior forward, Reggie Jesse, was presented with the Katha Quinn Award, given yearly to a St. John’s athlete who perseveres with hard work and exemplifies dedication. The award was named after St. John’s former Sports Information Director Katha Quinn, who died in 1989 after a long bout with cancer. The Red Storm have a tough upcoming week, with home games at Madison Square Garden versus No. 3 Duke on Sunday and No. 18 Georgetown on Wednesday.

– John-Paul Hezel

West Virginia 14-8, 5-6 Big East

West Virginia’s last three games have been decided by three points or less. The Mountaineers most recently won against Big East-East cellar-dweller Virginia Tech 72-69, led by junior center Chris Moss’ 22 points. Previously, they lost 69-66 to Notre Dame. Senior forward Brooks Berry’s 21-point performance was soured by his last-minute turnover. Senior forward Calvin Bowman continues to lead the Mountaineers, averaging 17.7 points per game. They take on Syracuse tomorrow at 2 p.m.

– Julie Wood

Providence 18-6, 9-3 Big East

In front of a sold-out home crowd last Saturday, the Friars upset the No. 18 Hoyas to prove Providence’s credibility as a force in the Big East. On Wednesday, the Friars continued their recent domination with a 64-53 victory at St. John’s, the first season sweep of the Red Storm since the 1986-87 season. Providence has now won 7 of 8 and has a conference-best 7-2 road record. The Friars look to climb into a tie with the Eagles for first place in the East Division when they travel to face No. 9 Boston College tomorrow. They play host to Virginia Tech on Tuesday and Binghamton on Thursday.

– John-Paul Hezel