Early Tuesday morning, prior to the inaugural ceremonies, Vice President Joseph Biden and his family attended mass at Dahlgren Chapel.

University spokesperson Julie Bataille said the Bidens requested that a private mass be held on campus for the family.

“Georgetown University was honored to facilitate this personal request on such a historic day.”

The mass was said by a visiting diocesan priest, a friend of the Biden family, Bataille said.

Following the 7 a.m. service, Biden and his family attended another religious service at St. John’s Church, located at the intersection of O and Potomac Streets.

Several students caught a glance of the vice president during his morning in Georgetown.

“It was interesting to see Joe Biden in a non-political atmosphere, and so close to Georgetown” Caitlin White (COL ’11) said.

aggie Donahue (COL ’11) agreed that seeing the vice president in Georgetown was an exciting experience.

“It was exciting to see him so close and know where he was off to in his motorcade,” she said.

White said that when Biden left the chapel through the rear entrance, he waved to the group of bystanders, who applauded the vice president.

Biden last visited the campus in April, when he delivered a foreign policy speech in Gaston Hall.

“It is time for a total change in Washington’s worldview,” Biden said in his speech. “That will require more than a great solider; it is going to require a wise leader.”

Bataille said that the university invited Biden to come back to campus to speak as vice president.

“Vice President Biden spoke at Georgetown as a Senator and we would welcome the opportunity for him to address our campus community again on the important issues the Obama-Biden administration will confront,” she said.

Fr. Kevin O’Brien, S.J., executive director of campus ministry, declined to comment for this report.