Bedeviled on Face-Offs, GU Falls to No. 2 Duke

By Karen Travers Hoya Staff Writer

The No 6 Georgetown men’s lacrosse team learned an important lesson this weekend – if you don’t have the ball, you can’t score.

The Hoyas won only seven of 22 face-offs and scored just once on eight extra-man opportunities in a 10-8 loss to the No. 2 Duke Blue Devils.

“When you’re watching your team play defense for five minutes at a time, when you do get the ball, your tendency is to try and make something happen right away,” Georgetown senior attackman Scott Urick said. “We lost by a goal last year [8-7, to Duke], for the exact same reason – we didn’t have the ball much and when we did, we would throw it away.”

With the loss, the Hoyas fall to 4-1 for the season, while the Blue Devils added another win to their unbeaten streak and bring their record to 7-0.

In the most recent Face-Off Media poll and the STX poll, Georgetown fell to No. 7 while Duke remained in the No. 2 spot.

Duke opened the scoring early, as junior attackman Jared Frood sent a shot past Georgetown senior goalie Brian Hole with just 1:03 off the clock in the first period. In what turned out to be a preview of the rest of the game, Georgetown junior attackman Andy Flick responded with a goal just a minute and a half later, but the officials called back the score due to a Blue Devil penalty before the play.

Georgetown went ahead 2-1 with 6:58 left in the first period, but the Hoyas would never lead again. The Hoyas could not capitalize on any offensive opportunities the Blue Devils gave them and did not come within two goals for the rest of the contest.

“They never closed it to one,” Duke Head Coach Mike Pressler said. “That was critical for us, to never let them get within one.”

Duke took control of the first period and scored three unanswered goals to take the lead. The Blue Devils tied the game at two with 2:16 remaining in the period and then won the ensuing face-off. The Hoyas were slapped with two penalties, resulting in a two-man up situation for the Blue Devils and a shift in the momentum.

Duke’s offense capitalized on the opportunity, scoring two more goals and winning three consecutive face-offs to finish off the period.

Georgetown was facing a 6-3 deficit with 9:54 remaining in the first half, but Hole was able to keep the Hoyas in the game, turning away three shots and keeping the Blue Devils scoreless for the remainder of the half.

With 1:36 left on the clock, senior All-American attackman Greg cCavera came around the right side of the cage and turned off his defender in a characteristic McCavera move. McCavera sent a shot past Duke’s Matt Breslin to bring the Hoyas within two goals, 6-4.

Duke simply outhustled Georgetown in the first half, winning eight consecutive face-offs and capitalizing on extra-man opportunities. The story was pretty much the same in the second half for Georgetown – wayward passes, lost face-offs, missed groundballs and two open-net shots where the Hoyas did not produce a goal.

Georgetown called timeout with 1:47 left in the game, with the ball just over the midfield line. On the restart, sophomore midfielder Mike Henehan took the ball straight to the cage and fired a shot through the pipes to cut the Duke lead to 10-8 with 1:40 remaining.

In addition to Flick’s opening goal, Georgetown had two goals called back, including a shot by McCavera with 1:00 remaining in the game. The goal would have brought the Hoyas within one goal, 10-9, but a slashing penalty against Georgetown negated the goal, gave the Blue Devils the ball and an extra-man situation and crushed the Hoyas hopes of an upset victory.

“I’m proud of the way our kids prepared for the game,” Georgetown Head Coach Dave Urick said. “This could be one of the more physical games that we will play. We came up short but it’s one loss. If we won, it still would have only been one win.”

Frood led all scorers with four goals, while McCavera led the Georgetown offense with three goals.