Basketball Preview: Georgetown vs. Louisville

When: Tuesday, 7:30 p.m. Where: MCI Center (20,600) TV: espn2 (Hoyanet Ch. 43) Radio: WGAY (1260 AM)

All-Time Series: Louisville leads, 2-1.

Last Meeting: Georgetown won, 50-46, on Mar. 27, 1982, in the NCAA tournament semifinal at Seattle.

Notes: In these two teams’ last meeting, Georgetown took down Louisville to advance to the National Championship game. Eric Smith paced the Hoyas’ attack with 14 points, and Sleepy Floyd added 13 as Georgetown defeated the 1980 National Champions. The defensive battle was back and forth all the way until the end, but a young Hoya squad led by sophomore Patrick Ewing was victorious in one of the great Final Four battles in history.

Louisville stands at 11-8 on the season, 3-5 in conference, but is reeling after losing three consecutive games. The Cardinals followed up a disappointing home loss to UNC-Charlotte with a loss to top-ranked Cincinnati and a four-point road loss to St. Louis. Louisville does sport quality victories over North Carolina, DePaul and Utah, however.

The Cardinals are led by senior swingman Tony Williams, who is averaging 15.3 points per game, 6.3 rebounds per game and 3.1 assists per game. Freshman Reece Gaines runs the point for the Cardinals and is a little bit turnover prone, averaging more than three turnovers per game.

Georgetown is coming off a 16-point victory over Rutgers on Saturday that broke a two-game losing streak. Braswell dished out nine assists and Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje paced the Hoyas with 19 points as Georgetown rolled to victory in the second half. Just as important, shooting guard Anthony Perry scored 16 points, the most he has scored in Big East play since a two-point loss to Providence last season.

The Hoyas took a step in the right direction on Saturday, and it is important to keep things headed upwards against a reeling Louisville squad. The Cardinals are 2-5 on the road this season, so a loud home crowd could help the Hoyas get a little winning streak started.

- Sean B. Gormley