Basketball | Hoya Madness Introduces New Faces

Michelle xu/THE HOYA Freshman forward Isaac Copeland has his number called at Hoya Madness. Copeland, the 16th-ranked prospect in the high school Class of 2014, won the slam dunk competition Friday.
Michelle xu/THE HOYA
Freshman forward Isaac Copeland has his number called at Hoya Madness. Copeland, the 16th-ranked prospect in the high school Class of 2014, won the slam dunk competition Friday.

This Friday’s Hoya Madness featured many of the staples Georgetown has come to expect of the basketball season kickoff event: performances from popular student dance groups, T-shirt giveaways, player introductions of both the men’s and women’s basketball teams, a dunk contest, the unveiling of former Hoyas’ NBA jerseys and a performance by headliner Trey Songz.

However, the atmosphere in McDonough Arena was vastly different than in years past. With less general goofiness from the players and Head Coach John Thompson III, the gym was heavy with expectation, for both the veterans and the freshman class. Senior guard Jabril Trawick followed up his rap performance from last year with another performance, this time accompanied by the D.C. rapper Lightshow; senior center Josh Smith drew big cheers when he dunked during warm-ups; and junior D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera showed off his smooth stroke during the three-point shooting contest.

All eyes, however, were fixed on the five freshmen, especially prized forwards Isaac Copeland and Paul White, both of whom will likely be called upon to make an immediate impact for the Hoyas off the bench. Fellow four-star recruits freshman small forward L.J. Peak and freshman guard Tre Campbell could also see significant minutes as the season progresses. Copeland elicited appreciative cheers from the crowd with his contest-winning monster dunks and seemingly boundless athleticism.

“It should be fun to see how they do,” Hoya Blue Vice President Nick Babyak (MSB ’15) said of the freshmen. “They seem athletic and like they’re getting on well with the team. Good dance moves, too.”

The Hoyas will need big contributions from the rookies if they want to reverse their unfortunate habit of poor postseason showings. Since a Final Four appearance in 2007, The Hoyas have endured a series of disappointing postseasons and early NCAA tournament exits, and fans are desperate to Coach Thompson and the team make a meaningful run in March. But Hoyas supporters are also tempering their hopes.

“I feel confident we have the pieces to compete for the Big East title and make a deep tournament run. Our balance of youth and seniority should be enough but of course any optimism is guarded given our storied history of choking grandly,” Babyak said. “It boils down to not getting your hopes too high and above all not betting on them or picking them to win your bracket. Curses can be reversed though, and hopefully this group has the maturity to reinstate a winning culture.”

On the women’s side, first-year head coach Natasha Adair made her debut, urging fans to come out and support the team in its home opener Nov. 14 in McDonough Arena against Maryland Eastern Shore. After allegations of verbal abuse by former head coach Keith Brown, an internal investigation and several key players (and Brown) leaving the team, Adair will have her hands full as she tries to right the program. But if her ability to lead the crowd in an earsplitting Hoya Saxa chant is at all indicative of her ability to rally her players, the future is looking up for the women’s basketball team.

The hope and anticipation of the student body was evidenced by the packed stands and loud cheering, but some of the momentum was lost when “We want Trey” chants took over the crowd before the men’s basketball team had even left the floor after the dunk contest.

Kamil Sirjue (MSB ’16), standing in the front row, was one student who helped get the chant started. “I came to see both [basketball and Trey Songz],” Sirijue said. “I love the basketball team but I also love Trey Songz.”

MICHELLE XU/THE HOYA The Georgetown women’s basketball team finished last ....year with a 11-21 record and bowed out of the Big  East tournament in the quarterfinals. First-year coach Natasha Adair will coach the Hoyas this season.
MICHELLE XU/THE HOYA
The Georgetown women’s basketball team finished last year with a 11-21 record and bowed out of the Big East tournament in the quarterfinals. First-year coach Natasha Adair will coach the Hoyas this season.

Trey Songz performed for about 10 minutes before calling it quits due to technical difficulties with the sound system. He sang a cappella for a few minutes before being abruptly whisked away by security, signaling the end of the event and leaving the crowd disappointed and wanting more.

The ironic symbolism of the end of the Hoya Madness event was not lost on Julia Paegle (COL ’15), a lifelong Hoya basketball supporter and season ticket holder.

“Everyone was really hyped about Trey Songz and Midnight Madness in general because it’s a precursor for everyone being together at Verizon Center,” Paegle said. “So then when [Trey Songz] just left, everyone was left hanging — sort of like how the Hoyas’ basketball seasons tend to end. If we play well in the season and then don’t make the tournament or get knocked out really early, [the fans] just sort of feel like we’re left hanging.”

The anticlimactic ending of Hoya Madness was less than ideal. Fans can only hope the basketball season does not leave them with the same disappointed feeling.