Baseball | Hoyas Lose Three in Princeton Series

After a dramatic walk-off win Thursday, the Georgetown baseball team (10-10) dropped the next three games of a four-game series to Princeton (5-7) this past weekend.

Georgetown won the first game 4-3 in 10 innings, largely to the credit of sophomore shortstop Chase Bushor. Bushor clinched the victory for the Hoyas with a game-winning RBI single in the 10th inning. With a pitch count of 2-2, Bushor hit a fastball into right-center-field to drive in the winning run.

“I just wanted to win the game, honestly,” Bushor said. “I was happy to come out with a win there.”

The intense extra-innings win was the culmination of a six-game winning streak for the Hoyas and the second consecutive walk-off win. However, Georgetown was unable to carry this momentum into the following three games against Princeton. The Tigers defeated the Hoyas 7-3 in 10 innings in the first half of Friday’s doubleheader. Princeton downed Georgetown again later that day 8-4. The series was capped off by a 4-0 Princeton shutout on Sunday.

After series against Penn and Yale, and a spring break tournament in Florida, Bushor noted that fatigue may have played a role in the team’s losses.

“I think we were definitely the better team all weekend, we just got unlucky. … It was a long couple weeks for us, I think that played a role,” Bushor said.

Head Coach Pete Wilk downplayed foundational concerns about the team’s success, citing recent injuries to the bullpen as a source of trouble for the team.

“I think we’re fine. I think we need to get healthy. We have a number of guys in the bullpen that we were unable to use last weekend, and they cost us the game. We’re not going to blow everything up that we’ve done, we just lost the games because we had several key guys that we couldn’t go to,” Wilk said.

Both Wilk and Bushor stressed that the team would not let the losing streak impact its focus as it prepares to take on George Washington (8-12) tomorrow.

“We just need to get back on the right side of the game … maybe a tweak or two to the lineup, but our approach is going to stay the same,” Wilk said.

Bushor said in order to find more success on the field, it is imperative to take games one at a time.

“It’s a long season and we all know that, we’ll just move on to the next one,” Bushor said.

Georgetown is an even 4-4 against George Washington in its last eight meetings, which has established a significant cross-town rivalry between the two teams. Bushor was also sure to note the extra incentive to play well against the rival Colonials.

“We lost two games to GW last year, and I don’t know, I think we are the better team … so I want to go out there and beat them tomorrow,” he said.

Even with the added pressure of a rivalry game, Bushor thought that the team still had the necessary fundamentals for success.

“Couple bad pitches here and there, but other than that our pitching staff [was] great all weekend. … I think we played good defense for the most part, and we pitched well for the most part as well. We were pretty quiet offensively the last three games, but that’s not something I’m worried about,” Bushor said.

The Blue and Gray take on the Colonials on Tuesday at 3 p.m. at Bancroft Park’s Tucker Field in Arlington, Va.