BASEBALL | GU Blows Lead At George Mason

Georgetown’s baseball team (11-10) stretched its losing streak to three games Wednesday after a 12-8 loss to George Mason (12-9). Although the Hoyas took an early 5-0 lead, poor defense allowed the Patriots to plate nine unanswered runs and seal a victory.

The Blue and Gray offense got going early, putting two runners on base in the top of the first. Although they failed to drive in any of these runners, Georgetown kept clicking in the next inning.

Sophomore outfielder Christian Venditti drew a one-out walk and senior catcher Nick Geary drove him in with a groundout to score the game’s first run. Later in the inning, senior outfielder Rand Ravnaas ripped a double that plated senior infielder Andy Lentz and junior outfielder Justin Leeson to extend the lead. Redshirt junior infielder Mike Garza capped off the big inning with a two-run home run and the Hoyas led 5-0.

Sophomore pitcher Alex Baker was on the mound for the Blue and Gray, and he cruised through the George Mason lineup in the first two innings. Baker struggled in the third and fourth, though, and the Patriots capitalized on shoddy defensive play to score seven runs. Although Baker was pulled in the fourth inning and was on the hook for the loss, only one of the seven runs he surrendered was earned.

But even after the pitching change, all the momentum stayed with George Mason. With freshman pitcher Will Brown on in relief, the Patriots tacked on two more runs to stretch their lead, 9-5.

Despite the score, strong relief pitching from redshirt junior Billy Cosmopolus and a three-run seventh inning kept victory in reach for the Blue and Gray. In the seventh, junior Danny Poplawski came through in the clutch by hitting a double with the bases loaded to pull Georgetown within one run of George Mason.

In the eighth, the Hoyas had a chance to tie the game with runners on first and second with only one out, but instead grounded into an inning-ending double play.

But George Mason had Georgetown’s measure and responded in the bottom half of the inning by tabbing redshirt senior Tommy Isaacs for three runs to move ahead, 12-8. The Hoyas were unable to rally back in the top of the ninth, sealing their loss.

In a game marred by poor defense and lackluster pitching, the one bright spot for the Hoyas was their offense. Ravnaas finished the day 3-for-5 with two RBIs, and three other players finished with at least two hits.

Georgetown opens Big East play this weekend against South Florida. If the Hoyas hope to come away with much-needed conference victories this weekend, they will have to tighten up their defense to avoid beating themselves.

The Blue and Gray open their weekend series Friday night in Tampa, Fla., with the first pitch scheduled for 7 p.m.