BASEBALL | Georgetown Extends Win Streak to Seven Against GMU

A game-tying, fifth-inning homer off the bat of sophomore Mike Garza highlighted a career day for the shortstop, who knocked in four runs in the Hoyas’ 10-6 home victory over George Mason (9-12-1) on Tuesday.

The win pushes the Hoyas’ win streak to seven games and their record to 15-7.

After five innings of play, the Blue and Gray trailed 3-0. George Mason scored two runs off freshman starting pitcher Alex Baker in the first four frames and another off of junior reliever Bobby Kirby in the top of the fifth.

In the bottom half of the inning, Garza delivered his decisive three-run homer — the first of his Georgetown career — to tie the game at three.

After Kirby pitched a scoreless top-half of the sixth, the Georgetown lineup teed off on the Patriot bullpen. Senior catcher Erick Fernandez scored senior third baseman Sean Lamont with a double to left to give the Hoyas a one-run lead, and junior second baseman Andy Lentz then came through in the clutch with a two-out, two-run single to push the advantage to 6-3.

Although George Mason inched closer in the seventh with a sacrifice fly, the Georgetown offense continued to pull away against the Patriots’ relievers. In the bottom half of the inning, Lamont drove in junior outfielder Rand Ravnaas with an RBI double to left, and sophomore infielder Corbin Blakey later scored Lamont with a pinch-hit single to extend the lead to 8-4.

A home run and sacrifice fly by George Mason in the top of the eighth again closed the gap to two, but Garza countered by capping off his impressive day at the plate with an RBI single in the bottom half. He later scored on an error, making it 10-6 Hoyas.

Georgetown junior reliever Billy Cosmopulos and senior reliever Mike Seander closed out the game with 1.2 scoreless innings to secure the victory. Kirby earned the win in relief of the freshman Baker, throwing two innings and giving up no earned runs.

Garza finished the day 3-5 with four RBI, while Lamont finished 2-5 with one RBI.

“They [the hitters] have a lot of character and keep grinding out their at bats,” Head Coach Pete Wilk said. “There’s a lot of talent in our batting order, and what you’re seeing is us wearing out the other team’s pitchers and getting into the bullpens.”

Although Baker did not earn the win, he allowed just one earned run in his four-inning outing.

“Alex is going to be a good one and has allowed us to have more depth on the weekend by giving us quality starts in the midweek games,” Wilk said.

Because of his performance, Baker will slide into the weekend rotation against Notre Dame in place of injured junior starting pitcher Will Harris.

The Hoyas open Big East play today with the first game of a three-game series at Notre Dame (7-10-1) in South Bend, Ind.