Baseball Drops Three To Pitt

By Meredith McCloskey Hoya Staff Writer

After ending a seven-game losing streak with a extra-inning victory against UMBC, things fell apart for the Georgetown baseball team again as it lost all three games against Pittsburgh in the weekend Big East match-up.

Georgetown ended its prolonged skid March 23, with a 7-5 win in the 10th inning at UMBC. Georgetown went up 5-4 in the top of the seventh on a home run by sophomore first baseman Eric Sutton, his first of the season. UMBC tied the ball game up in the eighth to send it into the extra frame.

Junior catcher Pat Wade sparked the offense for the Hoyas in the 10th inning with his second double of the day. Then senior tri-captain Josh Corman singled to score two runs to put the Hoyas up by the decisive margin. Junior Jim Vankoski finished off the job on the mound for Georgetown to clinch the victory, and sophomore Tony Pina secured his first win of the season, allowing three hits in 1-2/3 innings.

The Hoyas’ joy of victory did not last long, however, as they were thrown back into their losing streak after surrendering three straight games to Pittsburgh.

In the first game of a doubleheader Saturday, the Hoyas fell, 5-3. Georgetown gave up a three-run home run in the second inning giving the Panthers a 4-0 lead. A ground out RBI for Sutton along with a Vankoski home run brought the Hoyas within two, but the Hoyas were unable to rally in a bases-loaded opportunity with two outs in the seventh.

Georgetown left 10 men stranded compared to the Panthers’ three. Vankoski had four strikeouts and allowed five runs off eight hits in six innings.

In game two, the Panthers proved too tough yet again as the Hoyas fell 5-2. The first of the two Georgetown runs came when Corman crossed the plate after junior Eric Santana hit into a fielder’s choice. In the sixth, Vankoski scored off of a Pathers’ error to cut Pittsburgh’s lead to 3-2. Junior Matt Arizin went 7-1/3 innings for the Hoyas allowing five runs off five hits striking out seven.

In the final match-up between Georgetown and Pittsburgh, the Panthers were victorious, 7-5, sweeping the three-game series. The Hoyas held a short lead in the second inning, when Sutton scored off a Panthers’ error.

Nevertheless, Pittsburgh was quick to answer the Hoya offense, driving in six runs in the bottom half of the inning including a grand-slam home run from designated hitter Brad Rea. Singles from Santana and Sutton drove in three more runs for the Hoyas, to leave the score at 7-5. Junior Randy Erwin pitched 7-2/3 innings allowing seven runs off seven hits striking out six.

Georgetown’s overall record now stands at 10-19, and the Hoyas are winless at 0-6 in the Big East. The Hoyas travel to Navy, Wednesday at 3 p.m. and face Brown on Harbin Field Thursday at 3 p.m.

Related Links

Box Score, March 25th, 5-3 (Game 1)-Box Score, arch 25th, 5-2 (Game 2)-Box Score, March 26th, 7-5-Baseball Statistics-Baseball Schedule