With as many as two million people expected in D.C. for the inauguration this week, many local restaurants and bars have considered staying open late to quench the thirsts of the politically-inclined masses. However, many of the popular local restaurants and bars that had hoped to stay open late will not be allowed to.

Last month, the D.C. Council voted to pass legislation that would allow bars in the District of Columbia to stay open until 5 a.m. After some backlash from Congress, the D.C. Council moved that closing time back to 4 a.m. according to The Georgetown Metropolitan.

However, businesses that already abide by voluntary agreements with other community organizations, would need permission from the Advisory Neighborhood Commission and the Citizens’ Association of Georgetown in order to change their regular closing times. Many local bars and restaurants were denied permission to stay open until 4 a.m. on inauguration night.

Last weekend, both the CAG and the ANC voted not to amend any voluntary agreements. Georgetown bars and restaurants in voluntary partnerships with community organizations will not be allowed to extend their hours for inauguration weekend. That means that Old Glory, Café Milano, Mate, Saloon and Hook will be forced to shut their doors at the normal time according to the Metropolitan.

Brian Yealy, corporate chef at Old Glory, is disappointed about not being able to stay open later.

“Unfortunately Old Glory will be closing at 2 a.m. this weekend,” Yealy said. “As an all-American restaurant and bar, we definitely wanted to stay open later but we were not granted permission by the ANC.”

ANC Chairman, Ed Soloman, defended the commission’s position, saying it came down to issue of late-night security in the Georgetown area.

“The main concern for the Georgetown community is about whether or not there would be enough public safety coverage in Georgetown to address the later hours,” said Solomon. “The main concern is safety for the community, especially families and students.”

According to multiple reports, 213 D.C. restaurants, bars, nightclubs and hotels will be offering extended hours during inauguration weekend. These establishments are allowed to stay open as late as they choose between Saturday, January 17th, and 4 a.m. on Wednesday, January 21st. The Tombs, Clyde’s, Nathan’s, Bodega, Bistro Français, the Four Season’s Hotel and News Café are among some of the popular Georgetown restaurants that will be open and serving drinks until 4 a.m., while Third Edition will be open until 2:00 a.m. and Rhino Bar & Pumphouse has not yet announced its hours for Tuesday night.

“We are staying open for dinner until 2 a.m., keeping the bar open until 4 a.m., and offering our special Sunday brunch,” Kari Fiorillo, General Manager of News Café, said. “The main reason we decided to stay open later is to meet requests from numerous Georgetown students and faculty, and other members of the community who plan to bring visiting friends and family to the restaurant.”