ATHLETICS Georgetown Teams Face Uncertain Schedule

Charles Nailen/The Hoya The Georgetown football team resumed practices on Kehoe this week but will not play a game until Sept. 29 in New York against Fordham.

In light of the nation’s recent tragedies, the Georgetown Athletics Department is slowly trying to rebuild the schedules of the fall sports teams whose contests were cancelled over the weekend. The department has yet to come to many definitive conclusions about the remainder of the fall season regarding rescheduling or travel plans.

At least 22 athletic events scheduled to take place on Sept. 11 through 16 were canceled. So far only one contest, women’s soccer against University of Maryland-Baltimore County, was rescheduled; the match was moved from Sept. 12 to Sept. 17.

“We really haven’t gotten the final plan yet. We’re going to face the issues as we come to them. We’re not going to jump ahead and make generalizations for the rest of the season or the rest of the year or the rest of anything. I think we’re going to take it one step at a time,” Senior Sports Communications Director Bill Shapland said.

Shapland noted that because the schedules of various schools are different, it may be hard to reschedule contests against the same opponent. However, efforts will be made to add games to the schedules.

The Athletic Department has not announced any changes regarding travel plans for teams going to away games as of yet. The football team is scheduled to fly to San Diego for their Nov. 3 game. So far those plans are still on but could be subject to change depending on the state of national affairs.

Men’s soccer will be playing at St. John’s University, located in Jamaica, N.Y., Sept. 22 at 7:30 p.m. According to St. John’s Athletic Director of Media Relations Dominic Scianna, “beefed up” security measures will be in place for this weekend’s athletic events. University President Rev. Donald J. Harrington, C.M., held a meeting with the athletic department administration on Monday in order to discuss procedure for the weekend’s events. The department is complying with recommendations from federal and local authorities.

The Georgetown coed sailing team will be participating in the Laser Qualifier South and the MAISA Sloops at the Naval Academy on Sept. 22 and 23. According to Navy Director of Sports Information Scott Strasemeier, all athletic events will occur as scheduled with one change: No visitors are allowed on the Yard without proper Navy or Department of Defense identification, so no outside fans will be in attendance.

In addition, the Metropolitan Police Department has been patrolling the Potomac River, where Georgetown crew and sailing teams regularly practice and race. Sept. 15 was the first day that any team was allowed to be on the river, and the teams have been granted only limited access to the waters since that time.