As the NBA’s best players come to Washington beginning Feb.9 for the start of All-Star weekend, several participating Georgetown alumni will be returning to a familiar city.

Former Hoya and current Philadelphia 76ers guard Allen Iverson is the leading vote-getter for guards in the Eastern Conference, while Atlanta Hawk Center Dikembe Mutumbo (FLL ’91) presently sits third among centers in the East. Miami center Alonzo Mourning (CAS ’92) leads all centers in the East with 462,246 votes, more than 100,000 more than the 76ers’ Theo Ratliff, who occupies the second spot on the list.

Mourning, who was the Defensive Player of the Year in 2000 for the second consecutive year, is the leading vote-getter despite sitting out the 2000-01 season while undergoing treatment for a kidney ailment. The former Hoya center also traveled to Sydney to play on the men’s basketball team at the 2000 Olympic Games where he won his second career gold medal.

Mutumbo has appeared in six All-Star games since his graduation from Georgetown. Iverson will most likely return to the All-Star game for the third time. Last year Iverson was the All-Star Game’s high scorer, posting 26 points. Starters for the east and west teams will be announced January 29.

Another former Hoya, Washington Wizards center Jahidi White (COL ’98), along with the WNBA’s Washington Mystics guard Nikki McCray, will serve as spokesperson for the 2001 NBA Fleer Jam Session. The Jam Session, a fan- based entertainment day, will feature interactive games as well as autograph sessions with several professional basketball players. The Fleer Jam Session will take place at the Washington Convention Center Feb. 8-11.

In addition to the Fleer Jam Session, the weekend will include All-Star Saturday on Feb. 10, showcasing the three-point shootout and the fan favorite slam dunk contest. The All-Star Game will be held on Feb. 11 at 6 p.m.