Asian Pacific American Heritage Month Begins

Georgetown University’s Asian American Student Association will begin the celebration of its third annual Asian Pacific American Heritage Month this Saturday, Nov. 1. The month-long celebration is also sponsored by numerous student organizations including the South Asian Society, the Chinese Student Association and Club Filipino.

“APAHM is a culminating event throughout the month of November to celebrate Asian and Pacific cultures,” Jennifer Chen (SFS ’11), current programming director for AASA, said.

Kicking off APAHM this year is Night Market, an exhibition of Asian food on Nov. 1, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in Sellinger Lounge. Each club will be preparing a variety of dishes to represent their respective organizations.

“We will be selling Asian cuisines, ranging from Okonomiyaki [a Japanese pan-fried batter cake] to beef noodle soup [authentic Taiwanese noodles],” Chen said.

Night Market will be using coupons, which students can purchase for $1 each. Vendors will be pricing their dishes between $1 and $4. Those who attend will also have the opportunity to vote on which club has prepared the best food.

Other activities at Night Market will include a scavenger hunt, music videos and trivia contests. The money raised will help to fund the remaining events of APAHM.

APAHM will be celebrated with many events throughout the upcoming month that will engage Georgetown students, faculty and the D.C. community.

“In total, APAHM brings together 14 events with the participation and sponsorship of 23 student organizations on campus,” Chen said.

Other events for the month include Rangila, the South Asian Society’s annual dance performance, and numerous workshops on Asian culture and cuisine. One such event, Iron Chef, will feature student organizations competing against the clock to prepare dishes with a mystery ingredient.

“We also have political events, such as `Sports and Diplomacy,’ in which Victor Cha, the head of the Asian studies department, will speak about how sports and diplomacy intersect in the world today,” she said.

The AASA, according to Chen, allows Georgetown students with an interest in Asian affairs to come together and share ideas. Beyond hosting events, the organization also explores a variety of issues that affect Asian Americans, such as politics, culture and education.

“AASA hopes to provide outreach to the Asian-American community in D.C., as well as partner with national organizations located in D.C. that work to advance the civil rights of Asian Americans, celebrate the diversity of our community and promote educational opportunities,” Chen said.

The organization also makes an effort to work with other minority organizations here on the Hilltop to promote its goals and events. AASA uses such events as APAHM to advance causes of the Asian-American community and celebrate its culture and many achievements, Chen said.

The month closes with a semi-formal Fall Ball, a celebration of Asian-American heritage and accomplishment.