The Georgetown sports scene is in turmoil right now. The average Hoya sports fan is brimming with questions. Luckily for you, the reader, I’m here to help. And if you look at my baseball predictions from last spring, you’ll see I know what I’m talking about, but we’ll discuss that next week. Now, on to the pressing issues on the Hilltop.

How come Georgetown teams always lose close games?

I think this is probably a communicable disease. First, the basketball team caught it by doing who knows what. I certainly don’t; they don’t invite me to their parties. Now the football team has it. And they’ve caught an even worse strain.

Unlike with the basketball team (where the coaching staff doesn’t know what to do in the final two minutes), the football staff can’t be blamed entirely. They’re getting their players into position to win the games. The athletes had an opportunity to win all three games yet failed to capitalize even once. I’ve never seen a team make so many crucial mistakes. Drew Crawford threw three picks and the defense was unable to stop Monmouth on fourth-and-17 on the final drive. (On the bright side, at least William Skultety now has Jesse Patterson to attend therapy with, Re: dropping game-winning interceptions).

Of course, the coaching staff isn’t entirely blameless. When you have the ball and the lead in the final minutes of the game, you don’t pass, you don’t run trick plays, you run the ball. Especially when you’ve already had a lot of success with the running game. What was Coach Benson thinking? Sophomore Marcus Slayton was channeling the spirit of Barry Sanders on the field. Benson has a huge, physical line yet he was running junior Drew Crawford on bootlegs. At least use freshman Alondzo Turner, who has the ability to break tackles and put moves on defenders. Monmouth had two sacks on that drive, which don’t stop the clock like incompletions do. Those play calls were inexcusable.

Is Alondzo Turner the real deal, or is it just hype?

That depends on whether Coach Benson figures out how to use Turner properly. Turner has so much raw talent, but it’s clear that he doesn’t yet have the football savvy to be the starting quarterback. And that’s not to say Crawford has been playing poorly. In fact, Crawford always plays better after Turner has played.

Turner is cut from the Willie Beamen mold: once he gets out into open space, he’s really dangerous. Benson, however, has to be careful not to turn him into another running back. If all Turner does is run the ball, as he has the first three games, defenses are going to pick up on it quickly. (They watch films too.)

How’re the lacrosse teams going to do this year?

Ahh, the lacrosse teams. Yeah, I’ve heard of them. See, I’m from Minnesota. We don’t really have lacrosse in innesota. So, yeah, moving on .

Which basketball player will get his jersey sold in the bookstore this year?

First of all, Sweetney’s jersey needs to be retired. The problem is that no player stepped up last year to replace him as the face of Georgetown basketball. Tony Bethel was the closest, but we won’t go into that – that’s obviously a dead end.

Gerald Riley is a smart athlete, a captain and from what some of my lady friends tell me, the cutest player. But he’s not a star. He never made the Leap. Also, he’s a senior, so we’d have to have this debate again next year. Of the two sophomores, Brandon Bowman has the most explosive ability and the chance to be a Dikembe-like shot blocker, but he’s still on the verge of making the Leap. The same goes for Ashanti Cook, who was huge in the NIT, but didn’t play enough to assume star status because of injury. So while there’s no clear choice, this is an issue that needs to be decided. I’m not going to buy what is now a throwback Mike Sweetney jersey.

So there are the answers to the important questions about Hoya sports. I’m going to leave you with one final piece of advice: don’t give up hope. A Georgetown team may win a close game again someday. Maybe.