Image Contributor
Calen Angert and Jeff Lamb move onto the second round of voting for the GUSA presidential election, which is expected to be held on Wednesday.

UPDATED: March 3, 2009 1:49 a.m.

This year’s Georgetown University Student Association presidential election will come down to a runoff between Calen Angert (MSB ’11) and his running mate Jason Kluger (MSB ’11) and Jeff Lamb (MSB ’10) and his running mate Molly Breen (MSB ’11), according to several members of GUSA.

GUSA members confirmed Saturday afternoon that the Angert-Kluger and the Lamb-Breen tickets received the highest number of votes during Friday’s presidential election.

GUSA held a new election Friday after the GUSA election commission disqualified Lamb and Breen along with Peter Dagher (MSB ’10) and Elias Ibrahim (MSB ’10) last week for violating poster policies. An election was held on Tuesday but was suspended due to the controversy surrounding the disqualifications. The Election Commission’s decision was later overturned by the Constitutional Council, a body that oversees issues dealing with the election. The Council found that the posting rules the tickets violated were under the auspices of the Office of Housing and Residence Life and that the Election Commission did not have the power to disqualify the tickets. After the first election was invalidated, a second election began on Friday morning, ending 24 hours later.

The first round of votes remains unconfirmed because of the election of three new election commissioners. Election Commissioner Sophia Behnia (COL ’09) resigned on Thursday, while Election Commission members Frederick Moore (COL ’09) and Will Dreher (SFS ’09) withheld their resignations until after the first round of voting had been completed at GUSA President Pat Dowd’s (SFS ’09) request.

The Senators voted Mirco Haag (SFS ’09), Bridget Dowd (NHS ’09) and Reza Jan (SFS ’09) as the new members of the Election Commission. However, last night Bridget Dowd resigned from the Commission because of time commitment issues.

“I would have been happy to serve as an election commissioner if it were not for schedule conflicts,” she said.

Pat Dowd said that he does not know of any plans to replace Bridget Dowd with a new third commissioner.

Until the new election commissioners hear all complaints about the first round of voting, they cannot confirm that Angert-Kluger and Lamb-Breen will move on to the next round.

Senate Speaker Reggie Greer (COL ’09) said that the new commissioners are in the process of transitioning, training and learning the technical aspects of the online ballot, and hearing complaints from the first round of elections. Greer added that he hopes the election will take place tomorrow.

“There will be no election certification [of the first round] today,” Greer said at Sunday’s meeting. “Everything is still open and the new Election Commission will hear complaints from the round as we proceed.”

Senator and GUSA Presidential Candidate Josh Mogil (SFS ’11) said that the election needed to be redone because of a computer glitch, which prevented some students from being able to vote.

“We don’t want to taint the legitimacy of these two great candidates,” Mogil said. “We can’t let another tainted election go through this school. It would be disastrous for GUSA.”

Jan said that he and Haag were going to discuss issues over the election last night, and come to a final decision on the first round of voting. He added that after undergoing training yesterday, he and Haag thought that Wednesday would be the best day to hold the second round of voting.

“By our understanding it’s probably not a good idea to hold it on Tuesday. . We want to be comprehensive, so we figured Wednesday would be a better time,” he said.

“We think it was a fair round of voting that represented what the Georgetown student body wanted,” Lamb said.

He added that he and Breen are preparing for the next round of the election.

“We ask our supporters to continue in their support,” Lamb said. “Look at who best represents Georgetown and make the decision based on that.”

Angert said that he is also excited to be moving onto the next round of voting.

“We really appreciated everyone who came out and voted and supported us,” he said. “We will continue on as before. Hopefully our platform and message speak for themselves and the student body will come out and support us again.”

Angert also said that he was glad to see that the Georgetown community did not let the first halted election in any way affect its participation in the second.

“The fact that people came out and voted again speaks worlds about the students and the voting process,” he said.