The Advisory Neighborhood Commission considered a petition signed by nearly 500 Georgetown students and faculty Wednesday to install a stop sign at a local intersection that many have considered hazardous.

Happy Johnson (COL ’07), who presented the petition, told the board that he was nearly hit by a car this summer at the corner of 37th and P Streets when a car sped around the bend. He also told the council about last Thursday’s campus rally near Poulton Hall, where more that 40 students came together in support of the stop sign.

Community members voiced concerns at the meeting for the children involved in the Hoya Kids program at Georgetown, who often use the P Street entrance to campus.

Others were concerned that a stop sign would create unnecessary traffic and said that students walk all over the street anyway so it would not make a difference. Those against the stop sign suggested that pedestrians use the 37th and O Street crosswalk.

Some students objected to this plan, claiming that the steps on P Street serve as a legitimate entrance to campus that students have a right to use.

ANC Commissioner Brett Clements (COL ’07) announced that he had initiated an inquiry regarding the installation of a stop sign last August, although the initial response had been negative.

District Department of Transportation officials said that because the street is one way and creates an “L,” a sign is not warranted.

A university representative stated that the university would write a letter to the Department of Transportation in support of the stop sign.

In the event that the petition for a stop sign is unsuccessful, board members agreed to work for a crosswalk. Some council members were concerned that a crosswalk would take away some of the few parking spaces on the street, but they determined that the parking situation would remain the same with or without a crosswalk.

Board members also pointed out that a 15 mile per hour advisory has already been put in place near the intersection to discourage careless drivers.

The ANC board rested the discussion with a vote to request that the District Department of Transportation reconsider installing the stop sign.

The police report for January was also presented at the meeting. According to police statistics, crime in Georgetown rose 8 percent in the month of January, mostly due to increased thefts and assaults.

Police officials reported repeated incidences of street theft. In each of the robberies, they said, the suspects got out of a car and approached their target demanding money.

The officials warned that criminals are “looking for targets of opportunity” and discouraged people from walking in poorly lit areas. They did, however, point out that burglaries have decreased compared to last year.