Officially gathered in public for the first time, the eight District residents running for the five local Advisory Neighborhood Commission positions presented themselves to the community at a town committee meeting Tuesday. Three candidates, Erik Gaull, Garrett G. Rasmussen and Barbara Zartman, are competing for Westy Byrd’s former position in district 2E04, which includes Henle Village and Darnall, as well as the area between P St. and Reservoir Rd. over to Wisconsin Ave. Byrd, who has served as a commissioner since 1990, is moving out of her district and running for the D.C. School Board. Her political opponents regard her as anti-Georgetown, having opposed student voting rights and supported limits on off-campus housing. Gaull, a professor at George Washington University, a D.C. Police Department reserve officer and an independent consultant who works out of his house, said he has done extensive work with local government consulting in the past. “My policy is one of constructive engagement,” Gaull said. “[Georgetown] University gives a lot to the community. It is the focal point of the community.” Though he wants to be fair to the university, Gaull said he will not act as its puppet. Rasmussen, a 23-year Georgetown resident who spoke for less than his allotted time, said he was not originally interested in the position, but he thought someone had to take a stand and have a voice. Though he said he liked Byrd and that they had been friends for 20 years, he added that he wanted to use “compromise and not . confrontation” when dealing with Georgetown and its students. Zartman, on the other hand, plans to follow in Byrd’s footsteps. “Georgetown’s ANC should be the model of that the ANC should be,” she said. Zartman has been president of the District-wide Federation of Citizens Associations since 1996, and she said she is very aware of the local problems which, according to her flier, include the lack of residential curbside parking, the “intrusion of fast-food commercial operations” and “unsafe and intrusive group-rental houses” among other issues. In District 2E05, [Matt Payne (COL ’01), the only student running for any ANC position](http://www.thehoya.com/news/sophomore-payne-seeks-seat-on-anc/), is opposed by a write-in candidate, Roberto Coquis, who did not attend Tuesday’s meeting. Payne stated the safety of the community, community-university relations and the cleanliness of the streets as his main objectives an ANC member. “I an very dedicated to making this community a better place to live,” he said. District 2E05 includes all of Village C, the Jesuit Residence Hall, Alumni Square and various endowment and permanent resident houses on the 1300 and 1400 blocks between N St. and Wisconsin Avenue. Jonda McFarlane is running unopposed for the third consecutive term in district 2E06, which extends from N St. to the Potomac River. She discussed primarily the issue of ANC funding, which has been left out of the House of Representatives’ District appropriations bill. “I don’t think we can have an ANC without funding,” she said. cFarlane said she first came to the ANC in 1994 “with the goal of restoring a better sense of community within the community. I think we have come a long way. And I look forward to trying to continue that in the next two years ahead.” Unopposed in district 2E07, which is bordered by Canal Road on the south, P St. on the north, Wisconsin Ave. on the west and Rock Creek Parkway on the east, is Art Schultz, who discussed two of his goals as an ANC member. “I am in favor of more residential-favored parking,” he said, suggesting ideas such as cheaper parking garage rates for local employees to clear up the streets for the permanent residents. Schultz also proposed the cleanup of the commercial alleys of Georgetown. In district 2E08, encompassing the Rock Creek Park area north of district 2E07, Mark Ryan is challenging incumbent James Linen. Despite the fact that “the ANC has been a lot more work than I expected,” Linen said he has enjoyed the position and wants to continue on the Commission for another two years. “We need to ensure that the historic preservation laws are followed,” he said, citing the recently rejected proposal for a new building by the waterfront. Ryan, a 21-year Georgetown resident and president of a public relations firm, also cited historic preservation as significant to the Georgetown community, along with cleanliness. He said he had dedicated six weekends over the summer to peeling stickers, string and wire off signs in the area. “They’re all back again by now,” Ryan said, adding that the city needs to remove the graffiti and increase the penalties for those breaking the laws and dirtying Georgetown. “Many hands make light work and I’ll thank you for your vote,” he said. The candidates for districts 2E04 through 08 had three minutes to make an introduction, state the main points of their platforms and appeal for votes. Additional articles will profile the candidates in further detail, and will be published before the Nov. 2 elections.