With next week’s Advisory Neighborhood Commission elections approaching, four local district elections are drawing attention from neighborhood residents. Jonda McFarlane in District 2E06, Arthur Schultz in District 2E07 and James Linen (MBA ’93) and Mark Ryan (DML ’81) in District 2E08 are stepping up their campaigns. Running unopposed, McFarlane seeks her third two-year ANC term in District 2E06, which covers the area south of N Street down to the waterfront. “[The ANC] is about wanting to be a part of the solution instead of part of the problem,” McFarlane said. “It’s about feeling like I should be a part of making my community function well.” Though McFarlane said her views on the role of the ANC in Georgetown have changed little over her four years of service, she added that she now focuses more on making the ANC a more solution-oriented organization, rather than targeting specific community problems. “The role of the ANC is not so much to initiate as to respond to the concerns of the community and to help resolve those concerns,” she said. Both McFarlane and [Schultz, the unopposed candidate for District 2E07](http://www.thehoya.com/news/anc-hopefuls-square-off-in-forum/), which covers the area east of Wisconsin Avenue to Rock Creek Parkway, between P Street and the C & O Canal, share the same sentiment concerning student voting and off-campus student housing. “I think that if you are in a place for four years you are certainly as much a resident as anyone else,” McFarlane said. “They live in the area too,” Schultz said. In terms of students living in the Georgetown community, McFarlane did not deny an existing problem, but suggested that much of the tension could be traced back to the landlords rather than the students, and that using a zoning overlay to limit student housing is not the way to resolve the issues. “I think we have to continue to build awareness of students living in the community so that they are good neighbors,” McFarlane said. “The big issue is mutual respect between students who live in that area and the neighbors,” Schultz added, “and that’s a matter of people getting to know each other.” Schultz is president of the Schultz Media & Public Relations firm in the District and has experience in running economic development programs in Atlanta and Virginia, An 18-year resident of the city, Schultz said he wanted to give back to the community by running for the ANC. Schultz said that since arriving in the District, he has lead efforts to clean up the 14th Street district and bring in more office buildings. In Georgetown, he said he would like to “gentrify the retail a little bit more.” The main points of Schultz’s platform include ensuring parking for all residents within a block of their houses and cleaning up the community. “The alleys are horrid,” he said. “They’re rat-infested and people can’t walk.” Rather than relying on the government, Schultz said, individual businesses should clean up nearby sidewalks themselves. “I want to give Georgetown more of a village sense,” he said. Similarly, [Mark Ryan, one of two candidates running in District 2E08](http://www.thehoya.com/news/anc-hopefuls-square-off-in-forum/), which is just north of 2E07 in the Rock Creek Park area, said that Georgetown “is supposed to be a village; it is supposed to be like Williamsburg.” Ryan, a local dentist, said he decided to run for ANC when he felt that “the deterioration of living conditions under the Department of Public Works and that sort of thing was becoming intolerable. There are so many signs missing and signs that are marred that I began getting tickets in a place that I’ve been parking my car for 21 years.” According to Ryan, he spent over 80 hours last summer removing wires, stickers, string, graffiti and other vandalism from signs, lampposts and fences in and around Georgetown. “I believe that our signs are a sign of our democracy and our unity and when they’re missing and desecrated by stickers and other things I think it’s really a sign of decay of order, patriotism and pride, so I would like to see Georgetown cleaner, simpler and safer,” Ryan said. This movement includes the removal of the vending machines and paper distribution boxes from the street corners, he added. Off-campus student housing is fine, though, said Ryan, who rented a house on 31st Street while he was studying at Georgetown’s School of Dentistry. “And I think students should be able to vote – they live here and they’re entitled to vote here.” James Linen, Ryan’s opponent in District 2E08, said that a person’s voting area “should be their residence for taxes and driving purposes. I think it’s a natural concern on the part of the long-term residents that students who serve on the ANC and who vote will on average make decisions with more of a short-term eye, but that doesn’t mean they can’t [vote or run for the ANC].” Linen has served on the ANC since a special election in January when the previous commissioner moved away. “I would like to serve one last term because it’s a civic duty and I think doing it for one or two terms is probably appropriate,” he said. Among his strongest concerns for the community, Linen said he hopes to preserve the quality of Georgetown as a historic district. He said he also wants to target problems with the Department of Public Works such as trash, road repair, and storm drains. “I think as well that it’s important that the ANC try to ensure that the city government treat everyone the same,” Linen said, adding that there have been too many fights between District residents and the government bureaucracy when people higher up simply “breeze through the process.” As a long-term goal, Linen discussed balancing the “symbiotic relationship” between the residential community and the local businesses, including Georgetown University. “Georgetown has been here since 1789 and even though it’s grown and there have been some difficulties, it’s still a bedrock symbol of the community.” The results of the November 2 ANC elections in Districts 2E04 through 08 will be covered in The Hoya on Friday, Nov. 6.