ANC Accepts Block Party Proposal

By Molly Longstreth Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2E unanimously passed Casey Mace’s (SFS ’99) proposal Tuesday for a charity spring block party. The party will be held Wednesday, May 5, the last day of undergraduate classes, from 1 to 8 p.m.

Mace, along with three of his roommates, Tad Brown (SFS ’99), Chris Posteraro (SFS ’99), and Jason Mulvihill (COL ’99), the main organizer of last fall’s block party, presented the plans for this block party together following the guidelines of regulations for past events.

Previous block parties have required people who want to consume alcohol to provide two forms of identification. There is a limit of 48 ounces of beer per person included in the $10 admission price. In the past, students have been able to purchase tickets for additional beer at $1 each.

According to block party rules, written by the ANC and members of the Georgetown community, students under 21 who are caught with beer will be escorted from the event. The rules require five Metro police officers to be on site observing the university’s identification-checking procedures. At last fall’s block party, two undercover Alcohol and Beverage Control agents were also present.

According to Mace, students should be forewarned that the university is not going to tolerate irresponsible behavior after the block party. Food fights at the New South cafeteria have become an annual post-block party occurrence recently, with damages totaling at least $3,600 last fall. (See “Students, Administration Discuss Food Fight Costs,” Nov. 13, page 1).

“The administration said that they will not support any future block parties if there is a food fight in New South following the event,” Mace said. “And without their support there is no block party so basically I hope that a few students won’t ruin our great tradition.”

Second District Metropolitan Police Department Commissioner Shannon Crockett said in a phone message she has no formal complaint against past block parties. In general, however, Crockett said she publicly disapproves of the consumption of alcohol in a public space. While a subordinate of Crockett’s, Tommy Hayes, was present at the meeting, Crockett was not present herself.

Though there have been reports of violent incidents at previous block parties, Crockett said she understood that there was no real problem. “But it seems to me,” she said, “that there is a kind of double standard where I don’t understand why this kind of event can’t be held on the university property on the one hand, but on the other, you turn around and want to have it on public space, and I think there’s an obvious problem there.”

Linda Greenan, the Assistant Vice President for External Affairs, said that the university welcomed the students to have the block party on the university campus, but that the students had decided to keep it at its traditional location on 37th St., between N and Prospect Streets.

While the block party is purely a student-run event, it has traditionally been sponsored and organized through a private corporation that the students manage. Hooch Enterprises, the for-profit company through which previous block parties were organized, was dissolved this year by Mace, Mulvihill and Brown, who incorporated the 1227 Gatsby Foundation three weeks ago, as a new nonprofit organization to sponsor the block party.

The reason for making this change was to “get better tax breaks and to make sure that the people we pass the block party to keep it as a 100 percent charity event.” This action ensures that no money would go to the event’s organizers, as has happened in previous years, Mace said

The list of charities to be supported this spring has yet to be determined, though it will include both national and local organizations, Mace said.

Last fall’s block party raised $15,000 for charities including the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, the Susan G. Komen foundation, which supports breast cancer research, and Best Buddies, a mentoring program for mentally handicapped children and young adults.