An Ode to the Bros

EW.COM Certain freshman bros, while never reaching the frat-boy level as shown in "Neighbors," found bonds through their pranking.
EW.COM
Certain freshman bros, while never reaching the frat-boy level as shown in “Neighbors,” formed bonds through their pranking.

Although I didn’t know it at the time, I have been getting talks since the day I arrived on campus. Every student has. However, the term “getting talks” did not come into existence until my second semester.

It all started as a joke between a few of my friends. To go to Leo’s became “leo’s-ing.” To exercise at Yates, was “to yates.” To study at Lau or Regents became “to get some studies.” If something was funny, it was “lol.” And finally, to converse with someone, no matter how short the interaction, was to “get some talks.”

What seemed to be temporary word play turned into a legitimate language between us. It was done out of humor, but also convenience. Georgetown is place where using a wide range of vocabulary is expected among the student population and this creation made light of that. We were exempted from any and all grammatical or syntax rules the prior 15 years of schooling had taught us.

My freshman year I lived in Darnall Hall, and if I could do it over again I would choose to live in the exact same place. I was blessed with a group of friends who lived no more than 30 feet from me the entire year. We came to be known as “the bros,” a title given to us by our fellow floor mates. Loved by many, hated by few, unknown to some but annoying to all. Together, we are certain we pulled more pranks and orchestrated more shenanigans than any other floor at Georgetown University

Now that the year has sadly come to an end, and I must accept that new freshmen will be taking on those rooms come August, I’ve got to thinking about how my first year experience compared to the multitude of films all students watch as part of their inevitable procrastination.

I am willing to bet that every college-themed movie has had a fraternity appear at some point. From “The Social Network,” to “Old School,” of course “Animal House” and more recently, “Neighbors,” Greek life was always present. “The bros” were definitely not a fraternity. We had no leader, no governing body of any kind. What brought us together was our location on the fifth floor of Darnall. What kept us together was our love of the “lols.”

The relationships formed did not spawn from our similarity of interests. In fact, the individual choices of extracurricular activities were quite diverse. Not a single one of us is a Division I athlete. Our story in no way resembles that of “Rudy” or “Waterboy.” We might make it past the first round in an intermural basketball tournament, but aside from that, “the bros” would not be lacing up to represent the Blue and Gray.

A love for the party didn’t hold us together either. Some went out, some stayed in, a few went hard. In the movieNeighbors,” to rage was the custom and alcohol was the glue that kept that group together. This was most certainly not the nature of “the bros.”

Perhaps, originality was our glue. “The bros” possessed the creativity of the students of the South Harmon Institute of Technology (the school featured in “Accepted), yet we attended Georgetown University. We pulled pranks on each other, pranks on our floor mates, pranks on other floors; the list goes on and on. All in the name of the “lols,” which became our battle cry.

To be completely honest, I am not really sure what bound us together, other than circumstance. “The bros” possessed a unique chemistry I believe to be seldom found anywhere else on campus, and that was only our first year together. Will a year of such caliber be repeated? Will the relationships return? Will talks be gotten once again? I guess we’ll just have to wait and find out.

Justin Kotwicki is a rising sophomore in the College. Getting Talks appears every other Wednesday at thehoya.com.