Alum Killed In Crash

Kevin Hurley Friends and family are mourning the death of Georgetown alumnus Kevin C. Hurley (MSB ’00) who was killed in a single-car crash near the 14th Street Bridge early last Friday morning.

The cause of the accident is still under investigation. It is unclear whether the slippery road conditions from a Thursday snowstorm contributed to the wreck. The storm dropped two to four inches of snow over the Washington metropolitan area.

On campus, Hurley was a well-known and well-respected student and friend to many.

John Carpenter, director of the McDonough School of Business Technology Center, remembered Hurley for his charisma and even chuckled when speaking about the memories he had of Hurley, who worked closely with Carpenter. Hurley was the assistant student manager of the MSBTC during his senior year.

“He was very quiet at work,” Carpenter said but also said Hurley was very social at parties and outside of work. “There wasn’t anyone here who wasn’t his friend,” Carpenter said.

The entire full-time staff of the center attended the wake, held last evening at Pumphrey’s Bethesda-Chevy Chase Funeral Home, in Bethesda, Md., Carpenter said.

After graduating, Hurley remained in Northern Virginia to work and visited friends on campus often. According to Linda Pratka (MSB ’03), a co-worker last year at the MSBTC, said that he had been working as an accountant for KPMG, Inc. He had recently passed the Certified Public Accountant exam to become a public accountant.

U.S. Park Police spokespeople said the crash occurred on East Basin Drive on the ramp to southbound Interstate 395 just after 2:15 a.m. Hurley lost control of the car and drove over a grass median. The car struck a utility pole and then flipped over. Police were notified of the collision and responded at 5:40 a.m. He was pronounced dead on the scene, but a cause of death has not yet been determined.

Initially the Park Police did not release the name of the driver, but confirmed yesterday that it was Hurley.

Hurley was one of five children and was born in Takoma Park, Md. Since graduating he lived in Arlington, Va. Before coming to Georgetown he lived in France and attended an American high school in Paris and schools in Latin America, where the U.S. Foreign Service had assigned his father.

Aside from his on-campus work connections, Hurley was a member of the Georgetown rugby team and kept close to the team as an alumnus. There was even talk of him coaching the team in the future, according to Pratka.

Hurley was one of two people killed in automobile collisions as a probable result of the Thursday snowstorm. A 50-year-old Woodbridge, Va. woman was killed in a 130 car pileup about 20 miles south of the district. The pileup sent 14 people to the hospital, killed one person and caused over 100 minor injuries.

Area police departments reported over 120 other crashes on Thursday alone in Northern Virginia, and over 200 in the Maryland suburbs.