The Office of Housing and Conference Services announced last week in a broadcast e-mail that the university will be able to provide on-campus housing to all students next year. The completion of the Southwest Quadrangle project in the fall of 2003 will provide the extra space needed to house all students on campus.

“All students are eligible to live on campus next year and there should be ample housing to accommodate all who want to live on campus,” Vice President for Facilities and Housing Karen Frank and Director of Housing Services Shirley Menendez said in a written statement.

The addition of 780 beds in the Southwest Quadrangle will bring the total number of spaces in university housing to 5,022. Although the number of spaces available is short of the total undergraduate enrollment, students studying abroad and those who continue to live off campus should allow the university to accommodate all students who choose to live on campus.

As a result of the current building project, the university finds itself with an unusual problem – instead of scrambling to find more space for students, the administration is determining what to do if there are extra on-campus rooms.

“We expect that most spaces will be chosen during housing selection so we have made no decisions on the use of extra spaces,” Frank and Menendez said. “We have never been able to meet the needs of students in the English as a Foreign Language program or foreign exchange students who are enrolled at Georgetown so if there are any spaces that are not selected we would then be able to offer campus housing to these students.”

Because the Southwest Quadrangle’s will house a large portion of undergraduates, certain apartment complexes will be reserved solely for upperclassmen.

“In collaboration with the Housing Advisory Council, Residence Life and Student Housing, the decision has been made to keep Nevils, Village A and Henle upperclass halls. Upperclass students, as they have before, may select any apartments or residence halls other than first year residence halls. If juniors and seniors do not select all of the apartments, we have considered keeping Alumni Square a sophomore complex,” Frank and enendez said.

The Housing Department also plans to change the housing lottery this year.

“The housing selection system will be online this year so students will have the convenience of selecting their housing from their computer,” Frank and Menendez said.

At an InterHall Council meeting on Oct. 30, Menendez explained that the priority system for the lottery would also differ from past years. Different categories of students will receive different priority levels – rising seniors who did not have the option to live on campus will have the highest priority, a four; rising seniors who had the option to live on campus will receive a three, rising juniors will receive a two and rising sophomores will have a one. As in the past, groups of students applying for an apartment or townhouse will get to choose housing based upon their collective priority.

To test the online software used to run the housing lottery, the housing department will test the capability of the system on Saturday, Nov. 16, using students who volunteer to help test the system. In an attempt to encourage students to assist in the trial run, the most desirable housing spaces, such as townhouses, singles and townhouses, will be awarded in a raffle. Students must sign up for the housing selection test between 12 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 11, and 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 13.