Despite the loss of several standout seniors from last season’s successful campaign, Georgetown’s men’s lacrosse team appears well-equipped to make its seventh consecutive trip to the NCAA Tournament and improve upon its 2002 Quarterfinal appearance.

Five seniors selected as preseason All-Americans by Inside Lacrosse Face Off Yearbook will lead the Hoyas this spring, including long stick midfielder Kyle Sweeney who was selected to the First Team All-American squad. Making the Second Team was defender Brent Gresham, while attackman Mike Hammer and midfielder Trevor Walker were selected to the Third Team. Defenseman Pat Collins received an Honorable Mention.

“It’s a testament to the work, time and effort [put in by] Kyle,” Head Coach Dave Urick said of Sweeney, an All-American at the end of last year. “He’s a very gifted player, as well.” In looking to the rest of the squad, Urick noted the return of the entire first midfield unit. “It’s become our trademark. We’ll be able to play up-tempo lacrosse,” he said.

The departure of All-American attackman Steve Dusseau will no doubt make scoring goals a bit more of a chore, but Urick was not daunted by his team’s prospects. “We don’t need to worry. It was great to have [Dusseau], but life goes on,” he said. “The program is in good shape, so we will not fall on our faces if we emulate Steve’s work ethic. It’s not easy to replace [more than] 50 goals, so we may need seven or eight guys to score a few more.”

Urick also remained optimistic about his team’s outlook on defense, even considering the departure of goaltender Scott Schroeder. “Andrew Owen and Rich D’Andrea will be competing for the spot, and we need to take advantage of the fact that this is the best defense we’ve had here.” In addition to Gresham and Collins, Urick mentioned junior defender Andrew Braziel as important to Georgetown’s success in its own end.

Of the Class of 2003, Urick had several good things to say. “This senior class is a special group of people. They’ve got a chance to do some good things . the level of expectation is higher, so [we need to go perform].”

On Feb. 22, the Hoyas travel to College Park to take on the University of Maryland Terrapins for the first time in the program’s history. Trips to Navy, Brown and UMass and a game with Cornell in Syracuse, N.Y. highlight the rest of the Hoyas’ road slate. Georgetown will also play host to Duke, Loyola and Syracuse on Harbin Field. “It’s a difficult schedule,” Urick said. “Short-term, we’ve got to get the program moving in the right direction – and worry about the Maryland game. Thinking about getting back to the Final Four is a long-term goal.”