Georgetown University Law Center announced the appointment of Professor T. Alexander Aleinikoff as the Associate Dean for Research in a Sept. 16 press release. Aleinikoff currently teaches at the Law Center and specializes in constitutional law, immigration law, asylum and refugee law, citizenship and naturalization law, legislation, and civil rights. He also serves as a senior associate at the Migration Policy Institute.

Aleinikoff earned his B.A. from Swarthmore College and his J.D. at Yale, where he was the note editor of the Yale Law Journal. Following graduation, he worked as a law clerk for the Honorable Judge Edward Weinfeld, U.S. District Judge.

After teaching law at the University of Michigan, Aleinikoff served as general counsel and later Executive Associate Commissioner for Programs in the U.S. Department of Justice’s Immigration and Naturalization Service under the Clinton Administration.

Aleinikoff has authored numerous articles in his fields of expertise, including Semblances of Sovereignty: The Constitution, the State, and American Citizenship (Harvard University Press, 2002), Citizenship Policies for An Age of Migration (with Douglas Klusmeyer), Immigration: Profess and Policy (with David A. Martin and Hiroshi Motomura, West Group), and Modern Constitutional Theory: A Reader (with John Garvey). Aleinikoff’s articles have been published in many journals, including Yale Law Journal, Columbia Law Review, and Michigan Law Review.

Aleinikoff succeeds Vicki Jackson, who will continue to serve as a professor at the Law Center.