SPEAKER Albright Addresses Globalization At Inaguration to Academic Post By Mark Romaniw Special to The Hoya

Gabe Cappelli/The Hoya Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright examines the role of diplomacy in global affairs on Feb. 26.

Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright stressed the role diplomacy has and will play in global affairs following her acceptance of the inaugural Mortara Distinguished Professor in the Practice of Diplomacy at Georgetown on Feb. 26.

Upon presenting Albright with the distinction, University President John J. DeGioia called her “the first of several professors that bridges the gap between international relations theory and diplomatic practice.”

The title of Distinguished Professor of Diplomacy is reserved for professors who have spent substantial periods of time in policy-making, according to School of Foreign Service Dean Robert Gallucci. “They all have academic teaching experience but their careers were made in the policy field.”

In her address to alumni, administrators and students, Albright said that the boundless opportunities of the 21st century will be matched by unprecedented dangers.

“Diplomatic skills are as important to our nation’s prosperity and security now as they ever have been,” she said, listing possible conflicts that diplomacy has prevented. Such conflicts include a global depression caused by the Asian financial crisis, wars over Taiwan and Korea, a continuation of violence and genocide in the Balkans and “the world’s first – and perhaps last – nuclear conflict” in south Asia.

Albright also described an article she read in a national newsmagazine on the eve of her appointment as Secretary of State for the Clinton administration. Its premise, she recounted, was that “diplomats had been turned into dinosaurs” by the end of the Cold War and the advent of globalization.

“We proved that article dead wrong,” she said.

But, she said, “we are once again hearing the same voices that I heard when I first became Secretary of State. We are being told once again that diplomacy doesn’t matter very much.” Albright voiced support for Secretary of State Colin Powell, saying, “I know he has a singularly difficult job.” She also encouraged support for the Bush administration’s pursuit of terrorists – what she called a “long and perhaps permanent struggle against forces of destruction.”

Albright outlined several suggestions for pursuing peace and stability in Afghanistan. “We cannot convince the world that Afghanistan matters if we treat Afghanistan as a short-term crisis and not a long-term commitment,” she warned.

First Afghanistan’s leaders must be persuaded to cooperate, she said. An internationally-supported security force should be used to quell warlord violence, she added, so that attention can be given to education, healthcare and human rights. America should ensure that institutions are developed in Afghanistan to prevent it from being what she earlier called “a bed and breakfast for terrorists.”

“We have to stay and finish the job,” she said. “Secretary Powell has made it clear that he supports this,” she added. In the war against terrorists and the states that sponsor them, “we must back our diplomacy with the use of force and back our use of force with diplomacy,” she said.

Named after the late Michael Mortara (SFS ’71) and his wife Virginia – both longtime Georgetown supporters – the chair will enrich the studying and teaching of diplomacy in the SFS, DeGioia said.

“We are honored that Virginia continues the special relationship forged by her husband,” DeGioia said. “With the naming of Madeleine Albright as the Mortara Distinguished Professor, we see the realization of Michael’s dream for the School of Foreign Service.”

Among the other Distinguished Professors of Diplomacy at Georgetown University are Anthony Lake, former President Clinton’s (SFS ’68) National Security Adviser; Don cHenry, the permanent representative to the United Nations during the Carter administration; Peter Krogh; Chester Crocker and David Steinberg.