I think it would be fair to say that at almost every other college paper, the columnists have more to write about than I do.

First, they analyze and absolutely dissect their football teams, which have about 100,000 more fans than ours does – plus a winning record.

Then, they can talk about all of their other sports, which more often than not have on-campus facilities so that students can actually go to the games. Lastly, a lot of them are able to also write about their local teams. At UMass, you know they write about the Red Sox, and at Miami they talk about the Bucs and even the Lightning.

The difference here, though, is that nobody at Georgetown is from D.C. I can’t write about the Redskins.

After watching Mark Brunell embarrass himself on Monday night, there is no way I can write about that team. And even if they were good, there would not be a big enough fan base to get more than a handful of HOYA readers to look at more than a few sentences.

The same applies for the Wizards, Mystics and Caps. You don’t move to a new city and pick up new affiliations within four years, especially for such unexciting teams.

But there may just be an opportunity here to have a team we can all get behind: the Washington Expos.

The Associated Press announced Wednesday that the team will be heading to our very own backyard, right in the lovely District of Columbia.

Instead of the embarrassing 5,000 fans who attended the games in ontreal, Congressional office parties and lobbyist meetings will consistently fill the newly-tweaked RFK Stadium. Harris poll’s least popular team in baseball will rocket right into the top half of the league. And we’re here to watch it.

We’ve got a baby baseball team in Washington and, as Hoyas, we should consider adopting it.

Just like us, they are practically new to the city, away from their friends, family and the place that they called home.

They are looking for fans here, and there is no reason that we can’t form that fan base.

This move is absolutely historic – first season in D.C. since the Nixon administration – and we get to witness it first hand. We can become Expos fans right here, right now, and we’ll be able to say that we’ve been beside them from the start.

I’ve seen the way this school rallies around their home teams come October – and we don’t have to give that up. We can still hold on to our immediate baseball family, but why not pick up a step-brother at the same time?

Instead of crossing our fingers that the games will be on, every single Expos game will be televised locally.

After the $400 million deal to build a top-of-the-line stadium in Anacostia, we’ll have no reason not to go to the games – a Metro accessible waterfront park surrounded by new, yuppy businesses? Unreal.

And until that stadium goes up, even RFK is more accessible than Cabin John, where the Hoya baseball team plays. Yes, we have a Georgetown baseball team.

And now, we can have two.

Baseball fans in the area have been clamoring for a team for the last 30 years – we’re a big market and we apparently have an insatiable desire for “America’s pastime.” We are in the nation’s capital and all. So now we have it – our very own team that we can take under our wings, grow with and learn to love.

We can follow it every single week, every single game practically, and we should. If we don’t have a great sports team on campus to get behind, the Expos can be something to bring us together.

Something that, despite where we all come from, we can actually call our home team. The Expos aren’t from D.C. yet, and neither are we.

At the very least, it’s something we all will be able to relate to, so I’ll have one more thing to write about.

And hopefully, if Hoya fans become Expos fans, it’ll be something you will all want to read.

Erin Brown is a senior in the School of Foreign Service and a contributing editor for The Hoya. She can be reached at brownthehoya.com. Running the Option appears every Friday.