Matthew Klein became the Metropolitan Police Department’s acting commander of the Second District this Sunday, replacing former acting district commander Mark Carter, who assumed the position less than seven months ago.

Klein joined the Metropolitan Police Department in 1989 and moved up the ranks to become head of the internal affairs division in 2004.

Carter had only been in the post, which oversees the Georgetown and Woodley Park areas, for less than seven months before the replacement. The Examiner reported in July that relations between neighbors in the Second District and Carter had become strained because he was aloof and often disconnected from the wealthy areas in the Second District.

But MPD Communications Executive Director Traci Hughes denied these claims.

“It was a matter of personnel change,” Hughes said. She declined further comment.

Carter was appointed acting commander of the Second District by Police Chief Cathy Lanier last April after previous commander Andy Solberg was promoted to MPD field commander. Lanier will now be serving as the deputy commander of the police academy.

Klein’s office declined to comment.

Ed Solomon, chair of Georgetown’s Advisory Neighborhood Commission, said the ANC, which works closely with the commander of the Second District, is excited to start meeting with the new commander.

“We’re looking forward to working with him. I’ve personally heard good recommendations he brings with him,” Solomon said.

According to Solomon, the community has a number of concerns, including policing in the area. Klein came into the Second District commander job familiar with Georgetown, he added.

“We only have finite resources and we want to start meeting with the commander as soon as possible and appraise the ideas of policing in our community and some of our concerns we would like to address,” Solomon said.