Academic Programs Learning Center Opens GU Doors

By Erin Trenda Hoya Staff Writer

In an effort to foster improved town-gown relations, Georgetown University has created a Center for Lifelong Learning as part of its continuing commitment towards education.

The center will open this fall and offer non-credit programs for residents of the D.C. area that are in search of affordable academic programs.

“Our hope is the center will involve the community more closely with the academic life at Georgetown,” said Michael Collins, dean of the School for Summer and Continuing Education.

The Center for Lifelong Learning will offer six three-week courses, two at a time, every semester.

Classes will be held on Fridays from 9 a.m. to noon. The cost is $90 for each three-week class.

“We’re looking to expand – space is always a problem,” Collins said.

“This program offers something for people who have a passion for learning,” said Deborah Warin, director for continuing education, in a release. “This is one more resource available to those living next door to a great university.”

“Bush-enomics” and “Electing the President: Is it Time to Abolish the Electoral College?” will be offered from September 24 to October 5.

During the second session, held Oct. 12 to 26, the center offers “Shakespeare and Revenge” and “Computer Basics.”

From Nov. 2 to 16, students can enroll in “Celluloid Saints: Images of Sanctity in Film” or “Great asterpieces of the National Gallery of Art.”

For now, all courses will be taught by Georgetown faculty, but Collins said he hopes to have community members teaching classes as well.

“Bush-enomics” will be taught by Dr. George J. Viksnins, a professor of Economics at Georgetown. The course will cover the issues of capitalism as well as discuss issues regarding a possible recession, the stock market and the future of social security.

“Electing the President: Is it Time to Abolish the Electoral College?” will be taught by Dr. James I. Lengle, a Georgetown professor of government. Students will trace the origin of the electoral college, analyze its political implications, explore the major arguments for keeping or discarding it and evaluate popular reforms for improving it as well as alternate systems.

Future courses may include subjects such as child psychology, estate planning and digital photography. Other courses may be offered in the humanities and literature, art and theology, politics, economics and computer technology.

“We want to extend ourselves to the neighborhood and the entire D.C. community and offer residents even more opportunities to treat this as their campus,” Warin said. “They can experience the riches of Georgetown faculty and a Georgetown education firsthand.”

Georgetown students may register for courses until the first class meeting.

– Staff Writer Liz McDonald contributed to this report.