You hear them. What in the world is going on? You are just walking around the Harbin courtyard on a Saturday afternoon, and all of a sudden a wave of sound surrounds you. You hear them. You can’t help it. Just ask Big East soccer players. For five years now, a group known as “Pots n’ Spoons” have banging away with their spoons, pots, bowls, and ice cream scoopers all in support of their team, and their efforts are beginning to reap rewards. With them providing more than enough base for solid fan support, the Hoyas have lost only two Big East regular season home games in the last two years. Through their noise, chants and backing Harbin Field has suddenly become one of the tougher locales on the Big East tour. “People don’t want to come to Georgetown to play,” said senior George Kochman, the leader of Pots n’Spoons known by his colleagues as `El Présidenté’. Proof? Pots n’ Spoons aligns themselves directly behind the opponent’s bench to get the greatest result out of their noise. This year, according to Kochman, the St. John’s coach requested their bench be pulled away from the edge of the bleachers five feet and closer to the scorer’s table in order for his team to feel less of the Spoons’ wrath. Teams lucky enough to skip out on a trip to Harbin Field now must be on the lookout even when they are on the friendly confines of their own turf. This year four Spoons members made the trip to Morgantown, W.Va., to bang away when [the Hoyas played the Mountaineers in a critical Big East match-up. Georgetown ended up winning the game, 3-0](http://www.thehoya.com/sports/hoyas-shut-out-mountaineers/). “Coach [Tabatznik] came up to us after the game,” freshmen Spoon Mike Viano said of the trip, “and told us `I didn’t really know about this game heading into it, but once I saw you guys, I knew we were going to win.'” The group started in 1994 and, according to Kochman, “just steamrolled from there.” Kochman, a member of the Georgetown track and field team, said the initial success of the club was entirely due to the team’s success that year, in which the Hoyas made it the NCAA tournament and lost only once at home. He said a lot of the initial energy for Pots n’ Spoons was a result of the 1994 World Cup, which was played in the United States. A couple of the guys went to some games, where fans will truly do anything in support of their team (just ask French World Cup officials about the British Hooligans in this past summer’s World Cup), and came back with the idea of bringing that type of energy to Georgetown soccer. Of those original members, only Kochman is left. That first group of five has evolved into the group that is ranting on the railing now, which, depending on the game, has anywhere from 15 to 25 members. The membership is always changing because anyone who wants to pick up a noise making kitchen appliance and make some noise is always welcome. Recently the group has come under fire from fans who find their bare chests, weird hats, and gruesome noise a bit too much, actually, a lot too much. In the Oct. 16 issue of The Hoya, a disgruntled woman wrote in a letter to the editor that “So obnoxious was the behavior of some Hoyas `cheerleaders’ that I felt embarrassed for the home team. She went on throughout the letter to refer to the Spoons treatment as “atrocious,” and the “worst kind of sportsmanship.” When asked whether or not he thought Pots n’Spoons actions was obnoxious, he said quite bluntly, “Yes, I think we are, but that not a knock against us.” He also referred to “rules” he set for the group that prohibit vulgarity and personal attacks against any of the opposing players. “I honestly thought the letter was kind of funny,” Kochman said. “We are out there to have a good time and support the team, that’s what it is all about.” “A lot of [opposing] teams come up to us after the game and say `this is great,’ you know, `we wish we could have this at our games.” In a conversation he had with a member of the Georgetown athletic department, Kochman said the he was told that the only complaints he hears of are from teams who come in here and expect to win. And with the success of the soccer team this year, and the noise created by the Pots’N’Spoons, the number of teams expecting to walk onto Harbin Field and come away with a victory in the future could be fewer and fewer. And as long as humans eat with spoons and cook in pots, the Pots’N’Spoons will be there right along the railing making as much noise as possible. Trust me. You will hear them.