A Second Coming for Georgetown Cafe

The new eatery gracing the border of Georgetown’s campus has become an instant hit. Opened in late February, the second location of the Cafe Tu-O-Tu is now balancing the other end of M Street. Next door to Pie Sisters and Dixie Liquor, the Mediterranean and European cafe owned by MinoSarano has quite the large menu for its small space.

The restaurant itself is small and airy. When I walked in, I loved the excess of natural light pouring in through the windows looking out over the Key Bridge.  It has enough seating for a small lunch crowd, but lines can form out the door during its busy hours.

Their large menu and daily specials will satisfy even the pickiest eaters. I went ahead and chose the first thing that looked appetizing for my stomach: the chicken caprese panini.

It astounded me that the pictures of the food on the wall actually depict what the food looks like when it arrives in person. The panini came in a little basket with a bag of potato chips, and it looked as good as it tasted. The ciabatta bread gave the grilled panini a  hearty crunch, and the insides were rich from the warm, melting mozzarella. The combination of the chicken, cheese and tomato was pure food glory.

In addition to the sandwich, I ordered a pasta salad with pesto, which complimented my panini perfectly. Tu-O-Tu offers a wide array of salads, perfectly manicured behind a glass window in the counter. These salads range from strawberry and goat cheese to pesto pasta to Caesar and everything in between. Relative to other Georgetown eateries, the salads are well priced for their size.

On another visit to the cafe, I divulged in some of the all-day breakfast offerings. Who does not love a place that serves breakfast all day? I had the Key Bridge sandwich, your basic, bacon, egg and cheese. My hangover seemed to melt away over a cup of coffee, a cookie and this gooey egg sandwich.

Whether it is breakfast or lunch or breakfast for lunch, Cafe Tu-O-Tu Express hits the spot. A quick and fairly priced sandwich shop is a welcome addition to places near campus where students can find themselves a delicious meal.