The No. 8 Hoyas had not entered a season with such high expectations since the glory days of the mid-’80s. Less than 10 months earlier, the Blue and Gray had topped undefeated Duke, and in March the Hoyas reached the Sweet 16 for the first time since 2001, losing to eventual-champion Florida. And so, Georgetown began the 100th season of Hoya basketball the same way it began its first season in 1906 – with a win. Although it wasn’t the dominating performance the 9,954 fans at the Verizon Center had hoped for, it was a win. Junior forward Jeff Green led the Hoyas with 17 points, seven rebounds and four assists. Senior center Roy Hibbert added 16 points, five rebounds and two blocks, and senior guard Jonathan Wallace tallied 13 points and three assists. The balanced scoring effort would become the trademark of the team throughout the season, and while the win was expected against America East Conference mainstay Hartford, it offered glimpses of what the team would eventually become as the season progressed. Feb. 24, 2007 Georgetown 61, Pittsburgh 53 Wallace led all scorers with 17 points and Green added 14 of his own, as Georgetown fought back from an eight-point deficit to gain sole possession of first place in the Big East with its 11th consecutive win in front of a frenzied home crowd. A month earlier in Pittsburgh, the Panthers held on late in the game for a 74-69 win over the then-unranked Hoyas. Trailing by eight with eight minutes left, Green took over. The junior tied the game at 49 on a jumper with 5:25 left, and the Hoyas used a 12-4 run over the remainder of the game to seize control. Green then found sophomore guard Jessie Sapp on a backdoor layup to take the lead. With two minutes to go, Green stole the ball and, falling out of bounds, hit a wide open Sapp down court to stretch the lead to six. Georgetown would hit four of six free throws in the final 38 seconds to wrap up the victory. The Hoyas never looked back in the Big East, earning the top seed in the annual Big East tournament in Madison Square Garden. arch 9, 2007 Big East Tournament: Georgetown 84, Notre Dame 82 Though the Hoyas would need to wait until the next night when a 65-42 rout of Pittsburgh would give them the tournament crown, the semifinal nail-biter against the Fighting Irish was the game of the tournament. Green left no doubt who the top player in Madison Square was, as the junior poured in 30 points and collected 12 rebounds, in addition to knocking down the game winner. Draped with Notre Dame defenders in the lane, Green found a little space and willed in a tough hook shot with 14 seconds remaining. Notre Dame built a 14-point first half lead behind Russell Carter, who hit five three-pointers and had 21 points in the game, but Georgetown slowly fought back and went in down two at halftime. DaJuan Summers chipped in 18 points as the Hoyas finished with four players in double figures. The team also proved that they could win a high-scoring game – 82 points was the most Georgetown had allowed all season. arch 25, 2007 NCAA Elite Eight: Georgetown 96, North Carolina 84 OT The Hoyas secured the program’s first trip to the Final Four since 1985 by overcoming an 11-point deficit in the second half and reeling off 14 straight points in overtime to beat the top-seeded Tar Heels in the East Regional Final. Over a 15-minute span covering late in regulation and most of overtime, Georgetown limited UNC to only one field goal on 23 attempts. After a three-pointer from Wallace tied the game at 81 with 31 seconds remaining in regulation, the Hilltop let out a collective sigh of relief as UNC freshman Wayne Ellington clanged an open jumper off the back iron as time expired to send the contest to overtime. Georgetown scored the first 14 points of the extra period to put their stamp on the East region. The victory set off celebrations from the Lauinger steps to the White House, as Georgetown students vociferously cheered in unison on N Street and began to make plans for the trek to Atlanta. arch 31, 2007 NCAA Final Four: Ohio State 67, Georgetown 60 But a national title was not to be for the Hoyas. Midwest Region-champion Ohio State used a 7-0 run late in the second half to end Georgetown’s run in the semifinals at the Georgia Dome. The loss ended a seven-game win streak for the Hoyas and was only the third loss in the last 20 games for the Blue and Gray. In a classic battle of 7-foot centers, Roy Hibbert and Greg Oden squared off in the paint. Hibbert scored 19 to Oden’s 13, but both played limited minutes after getting into early foul trouble. It was the eventual top-draft pick Oden that quelled Georgetown’s momentum late in the second half with a fast-break dunk over Green that clanged off the rim but drew a blocking foul from the Hoyas’ star. There would be no march to the White House in D.C., as Georgetown fans turned their thoughts to whether Green and Hibbert would go pro and what the next season held in store.