Tuesday, October 5, 2004 A Healthy Catholic Debate

To the Editor:

John Coghlan’s response (“Criticism of Catholic Church Unfounded,” The Hoya, Oct. 1, 2004, A2) to Mark Ipri’s viewpoint in The Hoya (“What Would Jesus Think?,” Sept. 28, 2004, A3) states that Mr. Ipri is arrogant “for challenging the Church and its beliefs without understanding or attempting to explain them.”

I have much respect for both Mark and John, and I believe neither to be arrogant and both to have good understanding of Catholic teaching. On the other hand, I don’t think we came to Georgetown to study the Catechism. I think we came to Georgetown to understand Catholicism in discussion and in practice.

It is good that Mark raised these issues – it is good that this discussion is taking place.

In the fall of my term as Grand Knight of the Knights of Columbus last year, a priest addressed our council and said that the Church evolves while it teaches, and teaches while it evolves.

It is not a static church, and nor is it a perfect church.

Many Catholics have had different ideas on how to make it a more perfect church – and those series of rejections are what made us able to survive for 2,000 years.

It is good that we have Catholics who disagree with some aspect of Church teaching. I struggle with some myself, and it is through these discussions that I will learn more about my faith, and it is through these discussions that the Church will grow.

Benjamin Cote (COL ’05)

Oct. 4, 2004