In light of it being my birthday weekend, please forgive me that this column will be a whirlwind of different ideas. There were a bunch of different topics that jumped out to me this weekend, but let’s say that I lacked the, err . focus to adequately comment on any one of them in particular.

On that note, let me begin with a comment on parents attending their children’s sporting events. Disclaimer: In no way should this be interpreted as my discouraging parents from attending their children’s events. That said, please learn about the game that your children play.

In honor of attending the last football game of my collegiate career, I decided to forgo my warm seat in the press box to sit with the diehards in the bleachers. I sat with my roommate near the 50-yard line where several various mothers were perched to observe the game.

Parents have been a priceless source of entertainment at football games over the past three years. Parental units have yelled all sorts of phrases, derogatory or otherwise, at everyone from the refs to Head Coach Bob Benson not playing their little boy enough, or even press row when they assumed we were the official time keeper. So at first I thought nothing of it when they would shout for their various offspring. After all, that’s what they’re there for. But when they say things like “Look at that mean boy on the other team, he just hit that nice boy on Georgetown,” or after a fumble: “They called a false start on the offense so that gives us the ball automatically,” I feel like someone needs to tell them about the game of football. It’s not that I’m an athletic snob or anything, but I’m sure that whoever belonged to that mother would be more than a touch embarrassed by her comments.

So please when you attend your children’s game, think before you speak.

Keeping the topic on football, last Saturday was Senior Day and while all the seniors have contributed in vital ways throughout their tenure at Georgetown, one guy has really stood out in my mind and has received little in terms of media praise of attention.

Senior wide receiver Trenton Hillier has been an irreplaceable asset to the Georgetown offense, often serving as the team’s third wide receiver and rarely featured in the offensive game plan (though he did hold the school’s record for most receptions in a game with 13, before junior Luke McArdle broke it this season against Bucknell). Every game, however, I watch him run routes over the middle, get slammed by defenders and still come up with the ball. Admirable to say the least in terms of grit, amazing in terms of athletic talent. Oh yeah, and in his spare time, he backs up the point guard for the basketball team.

Players like Hillier, with that grit and die-hard attitude, will bring Georgetown to the next level.

Congratulations on a tremendous touchdown reception against arist, and a terrific career for the Hoyas.

Transitioning in a very Hillier-like fashion from the grid-iron to the hardwood, the Hoyas made their 2002 debut against the Lithuanian, no, Bavarian, wait. Prussian? [Thumbs through atlas of Eastern Europe] Oh yeah. Latvian Select Team. While it looked like the Latvia team’s average age was on par with that of a Chucky Cheese, Georgetown’s diaper dandies looked as though they’ll live up to syllable of the hype.

Freshman guard Ashanti Cook flaunted a stellar crossover dribble as well as great court sense en route to a 19-point debut. And freshman forward Brandon Bowman can flat out shoot. In my four years here I have never seen a purer stroke from a Georgetown shooter. Cook looks like no slouch from the perimeter, either. Granted that playing against the Latvian-pre-pubescent all-stars heavily skewed the statistics, but the duo still looked very confident and should produce from the start this season.

Coupled with sophomore guard Tony Bethel and junior guard Gerald Riley, two solid, but not great, three-point shooters last year, Georgetown might finally be able to open up the inside enough for the Mike Sweetney-led front court to play to its full potential.

Finally, on a completely different topic, the Yankees are apparently involved in a bidding war with the Texas Rangers for the diminishing skills of Roger Clemens. While the Rocket has had a great run, which will likely culminate with 300 wins and enshrinement in the Hall of Fame, his sporadic efforts last season made it painfully clear that Clemens is rapidly approaching has-been status.

I’ve always hated Clemens. Hated him with the Red Sox, hated him with the Blue Jays, hated him with the Yankees. Especially when he rubs the Babe’s head before every start.

Now, the Yankees are talking about trying to free up salary room, which may mean trading one of the game’s best catchers in Jorge Posada in order to do so. Clemens is asking for money presumably in the $10 million range, which is his right to do as dictated by the free market. But if the Yanks want to put the best team on the field next season, let Clemens go to the Rangers, let them overpay for another free agent. The Yankees will have to alter their spending behavior if they don’t want to be sodomized by the luxury tax, and this is a great place to start. Oh, and if you trade for Mike Hampton and his Rocky Mountain High E.R.A., that’s just as bad. Please – enough is enough.